It was 99 degrees yesterday. I was driving with the AC blasting and the trusty temperature indicator on my car was like “yeah hi you feel like it’s hot AF outside because it actually is.” I try to maintain a routine to not get too flustered over the heat, especially since summer is just beginning and the hottest months of the year are not even here yet.
- Stay hydrated: water is my bestie all year round but during the summertime especially I am carrying with me a hydro flask filled with freezing water at all times.
- Take a swim: My pool is finally warm with no heating necessary in the summer. And I finally have an excuse to wear the 20 bathing suits I have been hoarding all year.
- Drink a smoothie: I like banana, spinach, and lots of ice in my summer smoothies, this really helps to cool down.
- Dress appropriately: Keep your black clothes stored away for winter. Also, try to wear materials that are lightweight and don’t add to the “I’m so hot right now” issue.
- Eat fresh: No not subway, I mean eat chilled recipes. My go-to for the summer are Caprese salads, sushi, ceviche, and fruit bowls (perfect to take to the beach). If you have a very adventurous palate I would recommend a yummy Gazpacho.
- Appreciate the heat: At least Miami is a place where the weather is agreeable most of the year. Let’s all give thanks that we don’t have to shovel ice any time soon and that the sun is out for the majority of the day.
- Buy an ICEE: Pro-tip, Slurpees are free on 7/11 at the 7/11 gas stations, it’s a win-win all around.
- Go to an indoor shopping mall: For when you get tired of braving the heat outside.
- Invest in accessories that serve a purpose: a good pair of sunglasses and a breathable baseball cap go a long way.
- Last but not least: Go to the beach!
“And so with the sunshine and the great bursts of leaves growing on the trees, just as things grow in fast movies, I had that familiar conviction that life was beginning over again with the summer.”